Monday, August 23, 2010

A lot of almost babies in one room... scary

Saturday we attended a BBQ at the soon to be not pregnant anymore Doug & Chelsey's.  (They are due in 3 weeks.)  In addition to relatively new pregnant me (in my 4th month) we were also joined by Chelsey's cousins (and Jason's second cousins) Monique and Corina.  Corina is due in November and Monique in December.  Frankly, there was a lot of preggos in the room.

On one hand it was fun to all be together in our pregnant state and to see what each month looks like on each gal.  It is clear that my little poochie is nowhere NEAR where it might be in a couple months.  On the other hand, the whole evening was spent discussing babies, births, Monique's scary baby story (this is her 3rd) and other mommy things.

Monique went into labor and her second contraction was 7 minutes from the first, and then the next was 5 minutes, and then the next was only 3 minutes later.  The hospital assumed she was all over the place and told her to take a bath and call back in an hour.  Well, the tub wasn't even full before the contractions were 30 seconds apart.  They made a scary drive to the hospital (that was 1.5 hours away) in 45 minutes.    Um, I really want to attempt a vaginal delivery, but don't want to do it in the car.  Monique made it but she was crowning as she entered the ER. I would prefer to have a little bit more time than that.  I'm paying an OB and would love to actually use that service.

Back to the bbq.  At one point, I was suddenly very tired and needed to sit, while the other ladies stood and gabbed.  I told Jason I felt silly for needing to sit and he (oh so helpfully) reminded me that they were much much younger than I am.  NICE! .  He was kidding even though it really is true.

Corina has been prepping to be a mommy for quite a while and had a very long struggle with getting pregnant.  She is filled with all sorts of information about safety things and the tools and gadgets we will need.  Her sister Monique now pregnant with her third child scoffs and says, "you don't need all that crap, the baby will survive if the pacifier hits the floor for 10 seconds.  I think Corina will be a fantastic mom, but I hope she loosens up and goes with the flow.  Yes, the diaper genie is critical, but the baby wipe warmer might be overkill.  We'll see though...

No comments:

Post a Comment