Thursday, August 26, 2010

Baby Leave: The real scoop

When I first called the HR group for my wonderful new employer I was told that the paid leave after having a baby was 6 months (180 days) and I was shocked, pleased and super excited.

A second phone call reveals that the first person I talked to really had no idea what they were talking about.  The policy is actually a very generous 6 or 8 weeks of paid leave, and I can take up to 12 weeks without worry of losing my job.

Of course the remaining time off after the 6 or 8 weeks would be unpaid - I'm not sure we can (or want ) to swing that, so this new mommy will do what lots of working moms do and find appropriate care for our new peanut.  It will be hard but no harder for us than for anyone else that has had to do it.

I'm irritated that I was given wrong information, and it was information that I thrilled to hear about, but I'm guessing this won't be the first of child related things that I'll have to learn to roll with.  I'm sure there will be a few things along the way that won't go as I had planned.  I've been told the baby will have his or her OWN plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment