Monday, October 4, 2010

Week 20: The fruits of this labor

We are officially half way through this pre-journey of parenthood.  The iPhone application is confused this week as to our size.  Lucy still shows as a Papaya on the daily ticker, but the weekly ticker says small cantaloupe.  I like cantaloupe more than paypaya so I'm switching our fruit symbol.  (By the way, my dirty and juvenile mind sees womanly anatomy in the halved fruit - I wonder if it is a metaphor.)

Any who... we're prepping to head to Denver shortly to visit Jason's parents and to attend the 80th birthday party of a beloved neighbor. My business trip to Boston is tacked on to the end of that visit so I've started to pull out what I need in the way of clothes. In spite of my vow to be done with shopping for maternity clothes we made a stop at the outlet mall Saturday and I picked up some duplicates (in different colors) of a few of my favorite things.  The $19 winter sweater that I got on line was on the rack at the store in the happy color of red (ooh, I love red!) and when I was in San Jose I found a cute emerald green long sleeve top.  It has side "rouging" that accentuates the baby belly rather than hang over like the trapeze tops.  I'm shocked, but I like the look.  Yes, ME, I like the flush to the stomach look of maternity tops.  They scream "SHE'S PREGGERS!"  So, at the outlet store I found the same cute top in charcoal and in crimson (red) .   

I also picked up a pair of leggings.  I had purchased a pair online at Old Navy, but overestimated where my growth would be.  Maybe later in the pregnancy they will fit, but for right now, they sit in the closet because they don't stay on my behind.  (yeah!)   These new stretchy leggings are perfect for around the house, they are cozy but not slouchy.  With the long pregnancy top to cover my butt I feel rather put together.  (even though I'm sporting a pony tail, chap stick and no makeup.)

In addition to these items I also made a stop at the bra store.  Jamming my re-voluptuous boobs into my regular bras has been leaving me with red marks around my torso and an embarrassing moment at the end of each and every day where the bra and I must break up immediately.   Thankfully, I have learned an amazing trick from my mom.  I have the ability to remove my bra without removing my shirt.   This amazes Jason to no end, when all of a sudden he hears "aarrrgggg  I can't take it any more!" and then my right hand slip up my back and with a flick of the thumb and forefinger the clasp is undone.  A few wiggles and a bra strap is (gently) pulled down one sleeve and over my wrist before again being pulled under my shirt.  Then the other arm and whoosh, without a single flash of skin, the bra is pulled out from the front of my top and tossed across the room with disdain.

the grandma bra
My hope is that the new bra with the two inch addition to the torso size will be wearable longer in the day and that the ladies will be happier in their new larger cup size.  Jason wasn't with me during my bra shopping outing (some humiliations are better left for without the boys.)  Last night when the new bra hit the coffee table he took one look at the cups and looked at me and asked "do you REALLY fill that out?"   I'm not sure if it was manly joy or a touch of horror when I zipped off my shirt and donned the big bra to show him that indeed for now, I fit that honkin' bra.   Thankfully, the above picture is NOT a representation of the new item, but it is how it feels to me. I was gently reminded my sweet fella that the bigger globes are merely temporary and that the aftermath of the pregnancy might be saggy 40 year old boobs.  He's a smart guy and knows not to say anything but supportive and loving things even if he will miss the perky round ones that are in our midst now. Heck, I won't lie, I'll miss them too! 

With the multi-destination trip and my desire to bring the pregnancy pillow I'll be checking a big bag.  The upside is not having to carry on a sizable bag on the plane and being able to have a couple pairs of shoes to choose from.  There's no telling how much walking will be done in Boston, but I think the option of dressy and walking shoes will be handy.  Sometimes those hotels grow in size each day you're there.   I am looking forward to both parts of the trip and am thankful I'm not feeling any pressure to pack light.  For this trip I shall be Paris Hilton!

I'm not so secretly looking forward to the birthday party.  Since I definitely show as pregnant and those ladies love my sweet fella so much it will be fun to be able to rattle on and on about how happy we are. It is an environment in which it is ok to show off.  "Look what we made!"  When I think back on how overwhelmed I was trying to remember all of their names it makes me laugh.  They have all been so welcoming that it is easy to pick them out.

Jason thinks that Mrs. Mac is going to get a kick out of our choice of Lucy for a name as it is a derivation of Mrs. M's name.  We didn't have that in mind, but if she's honored then we certainly won't correct it.  Honestly, the name came from a childhood toy of Jason's.  He had a pair of dolls that had cute names and the girl doll was Lucy May.  It is too cute to pass up.  

That should do it for now.  Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment