Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bed Rest - oh the horror

I got a text today from Jason saying that his cousin Monique has been ordered onto bed rest for at least 2 weeks so that they can get the baby to 37 weeks. 

Monique has two kids under the age of five at home.  How the heck do you explain to a 3 year old that mommy can't fix lunch?  She has help coming in, and her husband, who usually works out of state for extended periods of time is home, but yikes.

I know ALL PREGNANCIES are different, but I would be so sad to be told to lay down for two (or more) weeks.  It does sound dreamy to watch tv all day and nap, but the reality of having to choose between getting a shower or lunch would suck.  Plus, my hair looks like crap when it dries without the aid of a hair dryer - so if I'm told to lay down you may not come to visit.  Yes, I am THAT vain.  (kidding - a pony tail is a beautiful thing - plus I have the skills to dry my hair while sitting down.)

I'm sure that while they want her to get through two weeks, if she can hold out for three or four even better.  The longer the baby stays inside at this point the better. 

I was trying to think about how we would manage if I was in the same boat.  In most respects it would be much easier because it's just me and Jason and we don't have to worry about life safety of small people (yet.) But I would still whine and complain about the inconveinience of it all.  (Mostly to this blog - where you could opt out of having to listen to me bitch.)

Monique lives in BFE, so offering to pop up and help out isn't really practical, but I wonder if a package from amazon with books and movies would be appreciated.

My friend Mel was on medical bed rest for almost her entire pregnancy.  She certainly survived and has a lovely happy little boy to show for her efforts, but when I think of all those days on the couch and then in the hospital I feel sick.  At the time I did what I could, I visited in the hospital (shared juicy gossip about my new dating life), send flowers each week and loaded up a little iPod with This American Life episodes for her non-tv enjoyment.  

Let's all pray that Monique holds out for the requested two weeks and that her little fella comes in due time in a healthy state.  Then, lets pray that I don't have to do the bed rest thing.   It won't be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment