Thursday, September 2, 2010

Week 16:

So, last week we were the size of a small naval orange, and this week an avocado.  I think someone is shopping at a strange produce stand.  In my experience oranges are larger than avocados.


The size of our Peanut is 4 to 5 inches long and weighs 3 to 5 ounces.  I had the second of many monthly doctor appointments and finally (FINALLY) got to hear our heartbeat. 

Similar to the ultrasound, the Peanut was hoping all over the place and shifted positions twice during the appointment.  She/he is a busy little person.

I haven't felt any of this exciting movement, but when I'm laying flat on my back I can feel the firmness of the baby zone.  It is (to me) much different than the squishy layer of warmth that I carry in my belly region.

Speaking of being on my back (GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER) I've been told by OB Kristen that by the end of next week I have to give up sleeping on my back.   Here's why:

The weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels. This can lead to muscle aches and pains, hemorrhoids, and impaired circulation, which is uncomfortable for you and can reduce circulation to your baby.
Back sleeping can make blood pressure drop, causing some expectant moms to experience dizziness. On the other hand, in some moms-to-be it can make blood pressure go up.
Finally, back sleeping can cause snoring and, with increased weight, could lead to sleep apnea.

itchy!
HEMORRHOIDS... Good Lord, first my ability to drink wine has been taken away and in its place I get things sticking out of my butt????  NO THANK YOU.  Side sleeping I can deal with. ( I did a search for a suitable hemorrhoid image and trust me, this guy digging into his behind is MUCH better than what I found.  I do NOT encourage you to a search.  Some things are better left unseen. )

I actually have a pretty nifty pillow that we have named Francois that I am now learning to sleep with. I throw a leg over and hug it and hope that I wake up there.  Jason is a bit jealous, but since I don't make out with it, he knows he isn't being replaced.  

In the clothes area, we did a nifty stop at JC Penny and picked up some LOOT and scored big time on tops to go with all the maternity pants that I have acquired (3 pairs) .  JCP had these cute polo shirts on sale for $2.97.  Yes... that is under $3.00.  I picked up two - pink and green.  I may be growing, but darn it I'll be cute.

That's about it for now.  The next big ultrasound is in October and we will have an idea of our babies sex at that point.  Don't worry - we will share the news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment