Monday, September 27, 2010

Showing and Design

I'm officially starting to pooch in a way that is noticeable to others.  In the proper clothes it very much says baby, in the wrong clothes (sweats and frumpy t-shirts) it says "get to the gym."  I had my first official "can I please touch your tummy?" question this weekend.  Thankfully it was from a much admired indivdual and she asked so sweetly that I was happy to oblige.

I will tell you that as someone who has lost a lot of weight and didn't prioritize a tummy tuck the idea of anyone touching my belly is a concept that I've had to adjust to.  Allowing my dear, sweet husband to see and touch the extra skin that has been left behind during my shrinkage was not easy.  Thankfully, only he, and now Dr. Kristin are the only ones who spend any real time with my naked belly.  The baby touching will happen through clothes and I will oblige (when I feel like it) with grace and without the flinching at the intimacy that it brings. 

The one thing I wasn't expecting, but that makes 100% sense is that the baby is growing UNDER the belly fat.  I mean, come on, push that belly fat away and grow a hard smooth tummy for pete sake!  To push the fat farther out into the world seems so unfair.

Exciting things are underfoot this weekend.  We picked a crib, the bedding (and coordinated duvet) cover to go on the queen bed that will be staying in the baby room, the cutsie pink bedding will be offset by a pretty green wall color thus keeping the princess factor to a dull roar.  I realized as we were pulling stuff together that Lucy isn't going to give a big patootie about the room until she's about 3 or 4, so it is ok to make the room cute, but soothing for mommy and daddy who will no doubt be spending some time in there.


I doubt little girls would pick green as the wall color, but I think it will be fabulous.  We're getting the super crib from Pottery Barn but have opted for the more economical changing table from IKEA.  Put together right it will be sturdy enough for our Peanut.

The crib, changing table and dresser will be white, and my beautiful caramel suede fabric headboard will get a makeover to make it coordinate and to make it kid friendly.  I doubt I'm going to be allowed to paint, so the arts and crafts sewing project will hopefully satisfy my need to "do something".

As you can see, the bedding is really pink with pops of yellow and a touch of blue and green, I'm thinking of covering the headboard in a simple (and cheap) canvas and then using my superb crafting skills sewing on some colorful coordinating flowers to emulate the bumper and to zip it up. 

We obtained pink gingham curtains with a blackout feature to keep Lucy's room dark when it needs to be dark.  No one likes to go to bed at 7pm on a sunny July evening, but no Mommy wants to wake up when the sun comes up at 4:45 am on Saturdays in the summer.   The blackout shades will be my favorite feature -- if they work.  I don't want to resort to tin foil covered cardboard like one of my mommy friends has done.  Granted, her toddler slept until 9 am every day without the benefit of sun queues, but I won't try it.   

All in all, the concept of Lucy's room is coming together nicely.  It is difficult not to order and buy everything all at once.  Patience is NOT my strong point.  I want her room to be done, but I will certainly enjoy the process of doing it.


I do like how she's already in the house.  The swing in our living room (that Jordan gets to use) is a happy reminder of what is coming our way.  There are baby things starting to pile up in her room, and she even got two little outfits this weekend.   (For some reason, Jas kept pulling out the cute monkey stuff, but alas, all the monkey things are boy clothes...)


Oh, and you may not be able to feel it yet, but I can feel her movements ever so slightly.  It feels like a gas bubble moving through me, but it's very localized up front and tends to happen when I bend over or squat.  I think I'm squishing her and then she's pushing back.  I'm told that in a couple months her movements will be visible to the outside world, but feeling her makes her tangible and we are starting to talk to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment