![]() |
| 33 week "size" |
![]() |
| A 5 lb gummy bear |
Lucy is measuring at 5 pounds and in the 59th percentile for size. This is a wonderful bit of unexpected news considering she was measuring at 93% earlier in the pregnancy. It doesn't mean that she's slowing down, it means that she has grown into her earlier booming size. Her femur is measuring at the 75th percentile, therefore she may be tall, or she might have a freakishly small torso and long legs thus making her a great candidate for the circus. Either way... bonus!
The doctor at the Maternal/Fetal Medicine clinic said that we are on target for a normal vaginal delivery and there are no indications that a C-Section will be needed. yeah! I had been mentally preparing myself for the news that a c-section would be necessary and I'm happy with the idea that we get to let nature take it's course.
Jason and I had a long talk last night about how we'd like (hope) the process goes. We would like to "labor at home" for as long as possible and then head to the hospital when we hit the 5-1-1 mark (meaning that the contractions are 5 minutes apart, lasting one minute for one hour) and then head on in. We will (of course) call the doctor earlier to give her a heads up that we're in active labor, but as long as we (I) can take the unmediated pain I would like to be in the comfort of my own home.
What I don't want to happen is to get to the hospital and either have them send me home or hook me up to drugs before I absolutely need it. Being mobile and walking around will help the baby move out of her little home into our world. Once I'm on the drip, I'm tied to the bed and I want to wait on that step.
We have a few weeks before we're in "the window" but since Lucy is measuring at the 34 week mark (meaning if they didn't KNOW for a fact that we had embryo implantation on the 6th of June) they would think she was a week earlier in her age projection. Babies born at the 35th week are generally not in the danger preemie medical zone, so with her progressing well we have little to worry about. Jason thinks she's coming on February 18th. I have no super mommy psychic intuition on this one. I sort of hope she's a little late so that my baby leave is more in the spring than the depths of winter, but one week either side is not going to make one bit of difference.
One funny note, on the table this morning I was laying and waiting for the technician to arrive and I was feeling hot and a bit dizzy. I thought it was just a combination of anxiety and the warm temperature they were keeping the room, but when I asked the technician for another pillow she was asking questions like, why? what are you feeling? I mentioned that I was feeling dizzy and that I wanted to elevate my head she told me no! She made me roll over onto my side and I immediately felt better. Our little Lucy was squishing my aorta while I laid on my back. Moving her off my organs made all the difference in the world and made me thankful that I've been sleeping with the pregnancy pillow. Imagine going to bed and passing out while sleeping - that would not be good.
The pictures from today's ultrasound are terrible - Lucy was not cooperating and thus most they are unrecognizable blobs. She was sucking her thumb, and we could see that she has hair (color unknown) and at one point I thought she looked like Jason's baby pictures. We'll see.
Speaking of hair color. We're have some chance of red, blond and even dark hair. Since I am fair haired (even without the assistance of the magical Amy at the salon) I have always envisioned my child with fair hair. There is a strong possibility that Lucy will inherit her grandma's dark hair; both Grandma Susie and Grandma Georgia have spectacular dark hair that even at the advanced ages of 39 1/2 (plus or minus a decade or two) are not color corrected to hide gray. I'm sure much in the same way that Jason never thought of himself with a blond child, I never thought of myself with a brunette. Either way, we'll love her right away, but know my first thought if she's raven will be "Who's kid is this?" I'm sure Michael Jackson felt the same way when he had a child that came out looking remarkably African American. (Is it too soon for that joke?)
Back to the point, the appointment went well. We walked out pleased with all the new information. There likely will not be another ultrasound and now we're on a wait (and grow) cycle.
Briefly, regarding the rash. My belly is looking really good. The itchies have really dropped to about a 1 on a 1-10 discomfort scale and even thought my "ladies" are red they are not itchy.
Sadly, my extremities (legs and arms) that have a different rash are giving me fits. With them I'm at about a 8 on the same scale, but only at night. Last night I dreamed that I wanted to amputate my legs to stop the itching. I lotioned up this morning and have been fine, before bed I think I will lotion up and then put on leggings as the loose pj's and bedding tickle which triggers the itch reflex. I hope that works. I slept terribly last night and need my zzz's.
Thankfully, the itching is temporary and as we're finding out that certain couples in our baby class are being told that they'll have to have c-sections due to scary things like the placenta being in the wrong spot or coming detached, I am keeping this (minor) irritation in perspective and am so grateful that we're progressing as expected. Lucky us!


No comments:
Post a Comment