Monday, January 10, 2011

Random thoughts for today

Saturday we were up early to head to the hospital for the tour. Thankfully, our tour guide was present and the tour was relatively quick. We didn't learn much new (thanks to our excellent baby class instructor) but I'm glad we were able to see the birthing rooms and the "baby / mommma" rooms. It is most certainly a hospital, but even though the rooms aren't plush and lush like a Beverly Hills Hotel the nursing staff is there 24/7 and they have food for Dad. We'll be just fine.

The only issue Saturday is that I was light headed and dizzy from the moment I woke up and the act of showering, getting dressed and drying my hair almost caused me to pass out. Once I recovered I was operating at about 90% normal all day.

Jason's theory (and he's usually right about these things) is that I ate dinner at 6pm and then didn't have anything else to eat so by 8am, I was running on zero energy. I did bounce back after he brought me a protein bar but not fully. At one point during the tour I had to find a place to sit. The tour guide (nurse?) even noticed that I was a bit "off".

My only real worry about this is that I'll have an episode during the childbirth experience and scare the heck out of the nursing staff. We do plan on bringing our own protein food with us and I'll be talking to Dr. Kristen about it as well. Typically the hospital will not feed a laboring mom, but our wonder instructor says that we're allowed to bring food.

I'll also be asking for an IV right away so that they can keep me on a drip for hydration and possibly calories. Also, in the event of the need for medicine, it will be "easy in" access. I do expect to ask for an epidural which means and IV will be required anyway, so why not get it up front.

Again these are things to discuss with Dr. Kristin.

I've been spending time in Lucy's room and have started to organize the tiny baby clothes we have acquired. We were given a HUGE tub of newborn to 3 month clothes from Lucy's best friend and second or third cousin Jordan. I've sorted through those items and pulled out the items I think we'll be using. Jordo's mom wants those items back (which is A-OK with me) so I've left the items I think we won't be using in the tub and if we need them, we can go right to it. Jordo was born in the summer so some items are adorable but out of season for our little February peanut. We'll see - Jord was also under 6 pounds at birth and Lucy is already 5 pounds and has a good 6-7 weeks left to cook. I'm thinking the super small items will go straight back to the tub for a return trip to Jordo's mom. Who, by the way, is all but guaranteeing that their second child is a boy by asking for all these appreciated and adorable pink things back.

Maybe they'll have twins next go round and they'll have a boy and a girl - thus giving Jordo's grandma more reason to spend her entire life savings at Nordstrom, Jack & Jane and Gymboree. (Too bad for Jordo's grampa who may have dreamed of retiring one day, but alas I think it will never ever be possible.)

I can't express how wonderful it is to have little Jordan around. She is a delight and a wonderful reminder that we WILL get the hang of the baby thing. She's four months old and while I won't wish away anytime with Lucy, Jordan has that super cute, fun baby thing going on. She's a giggler and a snuggler. Of course, we're only around on Thursdays and the occasional weekend night, but she seems pretty dang happy. Lucy, at first is going to be a sleeping, eating and pooping being. I'm trying not to have any anxiety over those first few weeks where we're spending our life feeding and changing her. (This is why we have baby leave from work!) I'm confident we will adjust and love it. Lucy will transition out of that phase before we know it.

I'm hopeful the breastfeeding thing will work for us. I will never ever regret my breast reduction, but wish there was a way to know for sure if I'll be able to breast feed. My body is changing and for sure I will have milk, the only question is will it be able to get out to Miss Lucy. We found an awesome breast pump on sale and made sure we'll be able to bring it back if we can't use it. (unopened of course.) If you've ever sent good thoughts out into the universe over my boobs, please do it again with the messsage that we want to breastfeed! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment