I've known plenty of women in my life who have had children. I've gone to at least 25 baby showers in the last twenty four years. If you're doing the math you'll see that my first was at the age of 17, when I attended the baby shower of a classmate who was also 17. Shocking. However, you will be pleased to know that Liz had her baby, went to college, got a degree, eventually married, and her little girl recently graduated from the UW. I certainly don't think that most teen pregnancies have such a remarkable outcome, but Liz was a bright and determined girl who refused to let her situation end the path she was on. Not my point.... I won't be advocating teen aged sex for the Blueberry, but FOR SURE he or she will be equipped with lots of knowledge and access to anti-baby making barriers. If they are going to play in the pool, I'm giving them a life preserver! (thank you Donna Martin)
Back to my topic. So, I've been to a lot of showers, but in recent years it has slowed down. In the last two years there has been only one. But boom, I meet Jason and his family is apparently QUITE fertile. In addition to my own delicate state there are THREE other ladies who are presently happily knocked up.
The babies are due in: September, November, and December. The family will get a little break and then the old couple drops the last baby into the gene pool in February.
I had hopes that the September baby would be done with all the infant stuff in time for our Blueberries arrival, but it appears the length of time most infant stuff is used is longer than 5 months. (Damn it, why couldn't they have gotten knocked up earlier?)
The first of the baby showers is in a few weeks so I jumped online to make sure I was able to pick up my favorite baby shower gift (the diaper genie). I LOVE the DG - it is a wonderful thing. You stick the poopie diaper into the genie and it wraps the stinky poop filled ickiness into a little sausage that limits the smell of poop in the house. It is probably terrible for the environment - to take the disposable diaper that already takes 100 years to break down and wrap it in even more plastic, but it keeps your house from stinking like poop!
Happily, the genie was still available for purchase and I snapped it up. I also took a peek at everything else on the registry. Other than the fruit flavored Mentos that ended up on the registry due to a bored dad with a scanner gun at the store, all the items seemed practical, but there were 85 items on the list. HOLY CRAPOLA - it is a baby, it sleeps, pukes, and poops, does it need its own storage unit of stuff??? Sigh.... probably.
A car seat is a necessity, same with a stroller, bed, high chair, clothes, diapers, chew toys....bouncy house.
What have we done??? I do hope (naively) that we can keep the insanity to a dull roar, but I bet that within weeks of the Blueberries arrival that our home will no longer be our own. We will be a brightly colored storage shed for all things baby.
It is going to be a fun adventure.

No comments:
Post a Comment