Thursday, July 15, 2010

1st OB Appointment

Jason and I met with the OB doctor this morning.  We had the first ultrasound (an internal device that looks like it could be fun, but isn't.)

This is the picture of the Blueberry as he or she looks today.  I've circled the embryo and the little heartbeat in the second picture to help us all out.  Honestly, to me this looks like the inside of the Deepwater Oil Spill Pipes. 


Our next appointment is with some other group who will do another ultrasound and the scary "Sequential Screen." The SS is the screening for Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18, Trisomy 13 adn open spina bifida. I don't know what it all is, but none of it is good and we would like the tests to be negative.

There is a lot to do, schedule appointments, pick a pediatrician, pre-register with the hospital, decide if we want to donate our cord blood.

A cord blood unit is the term used for the blood collected from the umbilical cord and placenta after a baby is born. Cord blood is rich in blood-forming cells that can be used in transplants for patients with leukemia, lymphoma and many other life-threatening diseases. This doesn't harm us in anyway and I think it is fine to do it. We could pay to have it stored for the Blueberry in case he or she ends up with leukemia, or cancer, but I think the likelihood is low enough that giving it to someone who is already in need is the more palatable plan. Something to talk about.

I liked the Doctor. She was a no nonsense kind of gal and quite efficient. I like the idea that she's not going to mess around. She does births and nothing but births. We won't be competing with newborns or other urgent issues. I just have to not be giving birth at the exact same time as too many other moms (although she said she did TEN new babies on Sunday.) I guess they tend to cluster.

Thankfully for us, we are one a baby family.

She did ask about how regular my periods were after we stopped taking birth control and when I said that we didn't know because we were pregnant before the first cycle was complete she was kind of shocked. I guess she deals with so many people that struggle to get pregnant that our little "remove the birth control and BAM - we're pregnant" story seems unusual. Giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment